[Cryptography] From Nicaragua to Snowden - why no national standards should be considered in cryptosec

Dmitry Belyavsky beldmit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 05:37:08 EST 2016

Dear Donald,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Stephen Farrell
> <stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

> > I think likely the best we can do is to annotate cipher code points
> > (e.g. in IANA registries) as being "desirable" or "other" and to
> > discourage everyone from implementing "other." If we can come up
> > with an acceptable but disparaging term for "other" that'd be great
> > ("crap" has been suggested but might not be effective).
>
> What's wrong with the typical standards term "deprecated"?

They are NOT deprecated (at least, some of them). For example, in Russia
we have 4 algorithms of a digital signature, 2 of them are definitely
deprecated
but 2 others are required to be implemented. So smth like "National" (may
be with
mentioning the countries) will be ok and non-pejorative.

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky