Firm invites experts to punch holes in ballot software

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Thu Apr 8 09:58:05 EDT 2004

Brian McGroarty wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 03:42:47PM -0400, Ian Grigg wrote:

>>It seems to me that the requirement for after-the-vote
>>verification ("to prove your vote was counted") clashes
>>rather directly with the requirement to protect voters
>>from coercion ("I can't prove I voted in a particular
>>way.") or other incentives-based attacks.
>>
>>You can have one, or the other, but not both, right?
>

> Suppose individual ballots weren't usable to verify a vote, but
> instead confirming data was distributed across 2-3 future ballot
> receipts such that all of them were needed to reconstruct another
> ballot's vote.
>
> It would then be possible to verify an election with reasonable
> confidence if a large number of ballot receipts were collected, but
> individual ballot receipts would be worthless.

If I'm happy to pervert the electoral
process, then I'm quite happy to do it
in busloads.  In fact, this is a common
approach, busses are paid for by a party
candidate, the 1st stop is the polling
booth, the 2nd stop is the party booth.

In the west, this is done with old people's
homes, so I hear.

Now, one could say that we'd distribute
the verifiability over a random set of
pollees, but that would make the verification
impractically expensive.

iang