[Cryptography] 'Cypherpunks write code'. (steganos)

Alex Flanagan alex.flanagan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:39:29 EST 2021

> He don't wrote we have to contribute to software that attack privacy.
> I don't think when someone contributing to a software that KYC is required
> are trying to defend privacy.
> Any payment must be sent directly from one party to another without going
> through a financial institution. I think that's the purpose of bitcoin.
>
> I'use KYC as an example. Those who believe that Bitcoin is not under
> attack are Moneypunkers.

I've built KYC tools for crypto transactions. It's possible to do while
maintaining privacy.

Take the FATF travel rule, for example, you log both halves of the
transaction and give the regulator tools to join those halves. This can be
done as a zero knowledge proof that, for a given predicate offense or SAR,
Mallory has engaged in transactions W, X, Y, and Z. Intermediaries can
pre-commit keys that allow the join.

Further, for public chains, this kind of KYC metadata can be privately
attached to transaction identifiers to show Mallory's structured pattern of
transactions (helps de-anonymize OTC trades and build a chain of reasoning
for legal/audit use cases).

Building privacy-conscious tools for regulators supports privacy: it gives
them options other than outright banning or whitelabelling the technology.

Bitcoin isn't under attack -- it's won the battle: the financial system is
adopting it.