[Cryptography] The Strange Story of Satoshi Nakamoto's Spelling Choices: Part 1.

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Jan 8 00:27:09 EST 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021, Mark Rousell wrote:

> As a British Englisher I can conform that this is not the case. The use
> of "z" in words like "characterized" is entirely legitimate and
> consistent with British English. It is a spelling form used most often,
> from what I have observed, by British English speakers with an academic
> or university-educated background (but this is just my anecdotal
> observation). Nevertheless, "z" is considered legitimate in general.

Not when I was there in the late 60s it wasn't...  Same here in Australia;
the media invariably use "s", and using "z" results in letters to the
editor about the slow Americanisation of English.

> If Satoshi Nakamoto is British or had a British education (particularly
> a university education) then it would be consistent for him to use "z"
> in such words.

Not my experience, and I went to an English grammar school which was
pretty formal (they were several years ahead of Australian schools, which
annoyed me no end).

[...]

> P.S. Further to my earlier message, my British English Londoner mother
> (aged 84) tells me that she was originally taught at school the "z"
> spelling of words like "characterize" or "legitimize". It was only later
> that she noticed other people using the "s" version.

My parents always used "s", and they were pretty pedantic.

I guess what we can take away from this is that spelling is not a
particularly reliable guide to nationality.

Same thing with accents: Americans and Australians think I'm Australian
(OK, I've lived here for over 50 years) but an Englishman will invariably
ask me "which county?"...  I have a sort of northern English accent with a
slight Scottish tinge (courtesy of my mother), and I have to modify it to
be understood; I've also had to learn Aussie slang (they don't understand
English/Scottish slang here).

OK, we're getting a bit OT now...

-- Dave