[Cryptography] So please tell me. Why is my solution wrong?

Joseph Kilcullen kilcullenj at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:06:27 EST 2017

On 08-Feb-17 5:32 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
> You didn't answer my second question.  Much phishing happens when the DNS name isn't really what the user expects.  How do you solve this?

The name Bob in Fig 1 comes from the TLS certificate. Hence its up to
the Certificate Authority to have the correct name for Bob. Many
existing sites have dumb entries inside their TLS certificates e.g.
Ulster Bank in Ireland is 'The Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc' within
its TLS certificate. Once the solution is in use businesses will get
their act together and put better names inside their certificates.

> What, really, do you provide above "just use TLS"?

Cool question. The whole point is that TLS fails in one TINY area. To
protect usernames and passwords the identity of the remote website MUST
be authenticated. My research indicates an un-counterfeitable login
screen is needed. Full screen counterfeiting indicates anything can be
counterfeited except classic cryptography shared secrets! This is why
I'm saying the solution is primary school. Its classic cryptography. A
login screen created by the browser cannot be counterfeited if it
displays a picture from the hard disk which remote websites cannot
access. To counterfeit such a login screen the phishers must hack into
thousands of computers, not just blanket bomb thousands of email
addresses with a 'look-a-like' website link. After that we just (1) only
display the login screen on receipt of a valid TLS certificate. And (2)
show the user the identity credentials inside the TLS certificate.

I'm saying TLS is cool! A TLS Certificate is equivalent to a passport
i.e. an identity card for the internet. We just have to force people to
use it. In Fig 1 Bob, Trent and Bob's website address all come from the
TLS certificate. Without the user-browser shared secret Fig 1 would be
easy to counterfeit. With the secret the phishers must hack into my
computer to fool me! And that's not phishing anymore, that's a different
problem.