[Cryptography] Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence - sources

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Oct 4 21:33:24 EDT 2016

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 15:36:13 -0700 Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>
wrote:
> >This article tells us Yahoo didn't merely cooperate with
> >intelligence officials asking for selected customer emails, but
> >rather voluntarily built a platform to systematically scan *all*
> >customer email for things intelligence officials might want to
> >read and turning it over to them.
[...]
> BTW, all of the other ISP's, with the possible exceptions of Google
> & Apple, most likely did the same things -- we just haven't heard
> confirmation *yet*.

Microsoft and Google have both confirmed in recent hours that they've
received no requests like this, and presumably they'd be under a gag
order if they had. Twitter will not confirm or deny, so they probably
have had such requests, though they're also currently in the middle of
suing over gag orders.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com