[Cryptography] Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence - sources

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Oct 5 18:05:35 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 15:36:13 -0700 Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>
> wrote:
> > >This article tells us Yahoo didn't merely cooperate with
> > >intelligence officials asking for selected customer emails, but
> > >rather voluntarily built a platform to systematically scan *all*
> > >customer email for things intelligence officials might want to
> > >read and turning it over to them.
> [...]
> > BTW, all of the other ISP's, with the possible exceptions of Google
> > & Apple, most likely did the same things -- we just haven't heard
> > confirmation *yet*.
>
> Microsoft and Google have both confirmed in recent hours that they've
> received no requests like this, and presumably they'd be under a gag
> order if they had. Twitter will not confirm or deny, so they probably
> have had such requests, though they're also currently in the middle of
> suing over gag orders.

I wonder if this was related to the yahoo data breach.  I can imagine
men in dark suits dictating terms of the breach management all
still secret.  If so the denial from Google and Micro$oft would make
sense.

>From CNN Money:
"....data "associated with at least 500 million user accounts" have been
stolen in what may be one of the largest cybersecurity breaches ever.

"The company said it believes a "state-sponsored actor" was behind the data
breach, meaning an individual acting on behalf of a government. The breach
is said to have occurred in late 2014.
data "associated with at least 500 million user

"The account information may have included names, email addresses,
telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with
bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and
answers," Yahoo said in a statement." <end of CNNMoney snip>

I am glad I do not know, I am out of tin foil....

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l