[Cryptography] Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence - sources

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 4 18:36:13 EDT 2016

At 01:16 PM 10/4/2016, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence
>
>http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo-nsa-exclusive-idUSKCN1241YT
>
>Just so everyone understands:
>
>This article tells us Yahoo didn't merely cooperate with intelligence officials asking for selected customer emails, but rather voluntarily built a platform to systematically scan *all* customer email for things intelligence officials might want to read and turning it over to them.
>
>The CISO apparently resigned when he discovered this had been implemented without the knowledge of the security team.
>
>Shame on Yahoo for agreeing to do such a thing.

The FBI/DHS/DOJ told Marissa they would abort her unborn baby, by putting a bloody doll in her bed.

BTW, all of the other ISP's, with the possible exceptions of Google & Apple, most likely did the same things -- we just haven't heard confirmation *yet*.

The ISP's connected with telcos and cablecos are connected to the govt at the highest levels -- at the axis of the regulatory revolving door -- the FCC holds their genitals by the short & curlies; this is true around the globe, where telcos are often govt-owned/govt-controlled/etc.  Doing telco business outside the U.S. *normally* involves substantial bribes to govt officials; Carly Fiorina may have been the first to stop the practise at Lucent, and probably forfeited significant sales as a result.