[Cryptography] FBI engages Isreali company to crack IPhone security

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Mar 23 23:01:18 EDT 2016

On 03/23/2016 03:19 PM, Adrian McCullagh wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Am I being cynical but is the public enagement of Celebrite by the FBI a public relations exercise.
>
> Without taking away the extensive amount of technical knowedge and skill of cellebrite has (an isreali company), I would be very surpirsed if they would have more expertise than that which the NSA possesses.
>
> Now, let’s say for argument sake the NSA has already cracked the Iphone seccuirty but does not want the general public to know that.  Then the FBI is on a no lose situation. Either way, the FBI can say that Celebrit cracked the Iphone secuirty and the general public is none the wise.

I think it's hilarious.

"Hey, NSA!  Here we have a private company in a FOREIGN NATION,
able to crack the security of the very same AMERICAN CITIZENS
your charter specifically says you're responsible to protect
from foreign nations!  Egg on your face much?"

This grudge match between the FBI and the NSA is heating up!
I wanna get some popcorn and a ringside seat to see what the
NSA does to spite the FBI for making them look like idiots.

				Bear
---
"Better'n Pro Wrestling!" -- Peter Puppy