[Cryptography] The FBI can (almost certainly) crack the San Bernardino iPhone without Apple's help

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:25:26 EST 2016

Den 2 mar 2016 22:58 skrev "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com>:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 13:41:22 -0800 Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net>
> wrote:
> > I want the security.  But I don't want the system I'd get if
> > that security were a commodity that software or service
> > providers could use to create captive markets in their walled
> > gardens.
>
> In practice, though, it appears that the average user seems to be
> better served by the security of the walled garden than by a system
> which anyone with physical access can sabotage. (I include myself, by
> the way, as an average user for these purposes.)
>
> This is bothersome to me because, ideologically, I prefer completely
> open systems, and in many practical respects I prefer them as well.
> However, my odds of downloading dangerous iOS software are much lower
> than my odds of downloading dangerous Android software, and it
> appears to require some significant sophistication to attack the
> physical security of an iOS device (though clearly not as much as has
> been portrayed by the law enforcement community.)

The solution is to let us choose our walled garden, including the option of
building our own. Let us be our own root authority if we wish. Most might
prefer the factory default, but the option to switch mode to insert our own
root so that we can control every security setting and every behavior
should be there for us.

- Sent from my tablet