[Cryptography] The FBI can (almost certainly) crack the San Bernardino iPhone without Apple's help

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Mar 2 16:58:35 EST 2016

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 13:41:22 -0800 Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net>
wrote:
> I want the security.  But I don't want the system I'd get if
> that security were a commodity that software or service
> providers could use to create captive markets in their walled
> gardens.

In practice, though, it appears that the average user seems to be
better served by the security of the walled garden than by a system
which anyone with physical access can sabotage. (I include myself, by
the way, as an average user for these purposes.)

This is bothersome to me because, ideologically, I prefer completely
open systems, and in many practical respects I prefer them as well.
However, my odds of downloading dangerous iOS software are much lower
than my odds of downloading dangerous Android software, and it
appears to require some significant sophistication to attack the
physical security of an iOS device (though clearly not as much as has
been portrayed by the law enforcement community.)

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com