[Cryptography] Response to "I don't have anything to hide"

Chris Tonkinson chris at tonkinson.com
Fri Feb 26 07:23:10 EST 2016

On 02/25/2016 07:49 PM, Matthias Wulfeck wrote:
> How do you respond to "I don't have anything to hide"?

"Okay, then will you unlock your phone and let me ferret around?"

We all have secrets, even if we don't think of them that way. This
simple request causes the mind - like a reflex hammer to the knee - to
start kicking to the surface all the various information that wasn't
even previously recognized as explicitly "private."

It works because you're putting the bogeyman (yourself) RIGHT there in
the same physical room. It realizes the privacy threat.

Cheers,
-C

PS: Sometimes this isn't enough, though. But all you need to do is take
the phone and say loudly and clearly, "Okay... text messages... <name of
spouse, partner,  or other confidant>..."

Chris Tonkinson
https://chris.tonkinson.com/
610.425.7807

  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."