[Cryptography] Response to "I don't have anything to hide"

Andreas Junius andreas.junius at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:23:04 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Matthias Wulfeck <
matthias.wulfeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> I figure I would toss this question out and seek advice from the general
> community. How do you respond to "I don't have anything to hide"? How do
> you explain to non-technical (and non-paranoid) friends of what's really at
> stake?

Unfortunately it seems there is nothing that you can do. People don't feel
affected until they are - and then it's probably too late.

Here a summary of the German "Rosa Liste" history:
https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.velspol.de%2Findex.php%2Finformationen%2F49-rosa-listen%2F79-polizeiliche-registrierung-von-homosexuellen&edit-text=&act=url

Someone starts to collect data in good faith and the data ends up in the
hands of the Nazis who finally killed people on this list in concentration
camps.

I told this story numerous times but the common response is "it's not going
to happen again". I wonder what makes them so sure. What might happen to
Muslims in America if Trump gets president?

Andy