[Cryptography] Apple: graphically show users that they are under attack

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:09:58 EST 2016

Den 25 feb 2016 23:40 skrev "Henry Baker" <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>:

> I was trying to describe the Apple situation to a non-techie yesterday,
and I thought of a change that Apple/Google/etc. should make ASAP. The
reason why most people don't fear govt surveillance and are willing to give
up encryption is that they don't realize that they (their phones &
computers) are *already* under constant attack. It's hard to realize that
you're on a battlefield when you can't hear the bullets whizzing around
your head.

> Apple needs to incorporate some sort of visual "meter" or other display
icon that indicates when their phone is being scanned and when someone is
trying to crack their passcode, their SSH login, etc. In addition to
attacks on your particular phone, Apple might also have a threat meter
indicating attacks on iPhone's in general.

> A few pictures of fallen comrades whose iPhones have been hacked would
also help drive the point home.

Like using your contact lists to allow you to tell your friends about
things like attempted hack attempts against you, both successful and
failed? Showing numbers and graphs for what kind of digital malice that has
hit their own social circle? Subpoena / NSL counts for your extended
circles?

Essentially making electronic security warnings a social phenomenon?