[Cryptography] 1x pad: the elephant in the Apple/DOJ courtroom

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Feb 23 20:00:28 EST 2016

At 03:20 PM 2/23/2016, Tom Mitchell wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
>Although DOJ/FBI claims that this case is "targeted" at a single phone, we all know that this is a bald-faced lie; they are setting a precedent that will open up a billion+ cellphones around the world for routine mass surveillance.
>
>The DOJ/FBI do not make this claim (no written lie) . The writ states that this service depends on a lawful court order to be done. It fails to restate the obvious that a court can make this demand again (rinse lather repeat). Some press conference coverage edits are newsworthy but inaccurate.  This court cannot constrain other courts or individuals from asking again and again.

I misspoke; "targeted" -> "tailored".  (TAO, anyone?  anyone?)

DOJ brief:

"the Order is tailored for and limited to this particular phone.  And the Order will facilitate only the FBI's effort to search the phone ... Nor is compliance with the Order a threat to other users of Apple products. ... As such, compliance with the Order presents no danger for any other phone".

This statement is a bald-faced lie.