[Cryptography] Is Apple correct?

CANNON NATHANIEL CIOTA cannon at cannon-ciota.info
Fri Feb 19 06:53:55 EST 2016

In reference to the current Apple scenario.
I do believe government with too much power is as equal of a threat as
much as criminals are.
I would side with Apple if the government is demanding a backdoor or
backdoor equivalent tool that would affect other people.
My question is, how can the FBI's demands be considered a backdoor
affecting anyone as if I understand correctly, would affect only the one
specific device?
If the firmware is programmed to only work on a phone with that specific
IMEI number signed by Apple, am I correct that the firmware could not be
modified to work on any other device since the signature would not
match? Or is it that Apple fears that this may open up unintended
security vulnerabilities in eveyrone elses phone i.e. if the IMEI number
could be spoofed thus causing it to act as a backdoor?

Please provide clarification.

--
Cannon N. Ciota
Email: cannon at cannon-ciota.info
PGP Fingerprint: E7FB 0605 1BD4 8B88 B7BC 91A4 7DF7 76C7 25A6 AEE2