[Cryptography] millions of Ashley Madison bcrypt hashes cracked efficiently

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Fri Sep 11 20:33:28 EDT 2015

What I find interesting is that the security failure at Ashley
Madison is the first security failure I know of which has
seriously impacted individual people. When your bank account is
cracked, the bank makes it right. When you SSN is misused, there
are ways to make it right. Admittedly any of these problems can
be a royal PITA, but you don't lose any reputation when your
accounts get cracked this way, even if your own negligence
contributed to the incident.

With the Ashley Madison crack, people are being outed for
behavior that does not have approval in much of society. The
affected people are seeing the results in their relations with
friends, neighbors, coworkers, employers, etc.

The next question is, will an event which affects individuals
have an effect on net security? The costs of cracks have had an
effect on businesses. Will this crack change individual's behavior?

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Security is like Government  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | services. The market doesn't | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | want to pay for them.        | Los Gatos,
CA 95032