[Cryptography] Reproducible results

Robert L. Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 7 13:17:29 EDT 2015

In the thread about "blockchain and trustworthy computing", Lodewijk
andré de la porte said:

> We are supposed to be doing this with academic papers. Reproduce the result
> at another university that's as different as possible (different sponsors,
> affiliations, religions, researchers, nations, etc), and the
> trustworthiness increases. Thing is - the VW cars fooled the procedure.
> Replication does not make a difference. The procedure was faulty.
I am interested in whether that is actually being carried out as a
standard procedure in any, or many, disciplines. I certainly don't
object to it as a goal and hence as "supposed to be doing". But
*Science* magazine, one of the major publishers of research articles in
many scientific subjects, recently carried the suggestion that this
ought to be done, as a reaction to the number of scientific papers that
have been retracted (worldwide, not just in *Science*) recently. As a
mathematician, where results don't usually depend on lab equipment and
procedures, the whole discovery and publication activity is a little
different from many of the subjects they publish. But, from what I read
in *Science*, I got the impression this was not usually a condition for
journal acceptance in any subject. Is that so?

Bob Wilson
(retired from University of Wisconsin math department)