[Cryptography] Fwd: Re: Post Quantum Crypto

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Sun Nov 15 14:52:42 EST 2015

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 9:38 AM, Philipp Gühring
> > Are we even sure about the three dimensions part? If I understand
> > correctly, string theory postulates that there are many more than 3
> > dimensions.
>
> Interesting question.
> I am not sure, whether the processes at runtime are only 3-dimensional or
> more dimensional, but the production process in the chip fab is
> 3-dimensional.
> What impact on the security could it have from your point of view?

On security, I don't know. But it certainly impacts the practicality of building quantum computers. The principle of quantum computing pushes against the borders of our current knowledge, such as the actual structure of matter and the interaction between particles. It is hardly surprising that building such devices is devilishly hard.

On the other hand, a breakthrough in theoretical physics would probably be rapidly followed by similar breakthroughs in the art of computing. But then, physicists have been trying to reconcile quantum mechanics and relativity for a long time, so we have to believe that the breakthrough will not happen tomorrow.

-- Christian Huitema