[Cryptography] Fwd: Re: Post Quantum Crypto

Viktor Dukhovni cryptography at dukhovni.org
Mon Nov 16 02:58:09 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 11:52:42AM -0800, Christian Huitema wrote:

> The principle of quantum computing pushes against the borders of our
> current knowledge, such as the actual structure of matter and the
> interaction between particles.  It is hardly surprising that building such
> devices is devilishly hard.

Quantum computers don't appear to require anything more than routine
non-relativistic quantum mechanics.  As such making one appears to
be a (very difficult) problem in applied physics, applied mathematics,
materials engineering and nano-fabrication.  I've not seen any
evidence that building scalable QC or proving it impossible requires
new insights into theoretical physics.

The Quantum Mechanics of ordinary materials (found outside of stars
and particle accelerators) has not changed in decades.

Does anyone know of any credible references to suggest that QC is
bottle-necked on progress in Physics beyond QED (let alone beyond
the Standard Model)?

> On the other hand, a breakthrough in theoretical physics would probably
> be rapidly followed by similar breakthroughs in the art of computing. But
> then, physicists have been trying to reconcile quantum mechanics and
> relativity for a long time, so we have to believe that the breakthrough
> will not happen tomorrow.

It rather seems you're just making this part up.

--
	Viktor.