[Cryptography] Any opinions on keybase.io?

Judson Lester nyarly at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 20:24:20 EST 2014

On Tue Dec 16 2014 at 5:16:30 PM Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton at acm.org>
wrote:

> <orcnote>
>   I think it is to be understood that keybase.io is still in
>   Alpha and tends to be growing bottom-up.
>
>   This seems to be moving further in the right direction,
>
>  <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2014/11/19/Keybase-Client>.
> </orcnote>
>
> The problems with keybase aren't, in my opinion, something that "being in
alpha" explains. As a system, it is designed with remote generation and
network transmission of a private key. These features are optional,
granted, but they're still incredible misfeatures. I would love to be able
to interpret their inclusion in the design as anything but incompetence or
malice.

But, without those features, there's no reason to centralize the GPG
process, and without centralization there's no startup.

Anyway, the polemic I mentioned:
http://blog.lrdesign.com/2014/03/thoughts-on-keybase-io/