Firm invites experts to punch holes in ballot software

Michael_Heyman at NAI.com Michael_Heyman at NAI.com
Wed Apr 7 16:14:59 EDT 2004

Except to those of us who don't trust the system.

Implemented correctly it could be cheap and complications could be
hidden from the voter. It could be cheaper - no need to pay people to do
an audit when "the people" will do it for you. You only need a small
fraction of "the people" to verify their votes to get a high level of
confidence that the election is valid. You only need one failure to cast
doubt on the election. This requires an un-forgeable receipt that cannot
be used for coercion. Un-forgeable we have been doing for a while now
with lots of different PK options. A receipt that cannot be used for
coercion cannot give any indication to others of who you voted for.
Right now this is a big complication (at least to me - I don't know how
to create such a receipt that doesn't require mental gymnastics on the
part of the voter).

-Michael Heyman