[Cryptography] doorbells for Ukraine

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 11:56:30 EST 2022

On 12/18/22 8:56 PM, Mykola Stryebkov wrote:
>> On 18 Dec 2022, at 09:04, William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn't a few (thousand) cloud connected cameras and microphones be
>> able to determine paths and trajectories?
>

> Few months ago guys from Odesa created mobile app “єППО”, which could be translated as  iAirDefence :-)

That had been widely reported earlier.  Clever, but smartphones are very expensive devices, and require
human monitoring and reporting.

> But AFAIK they are already testing the fully automatic distributed detector based on users smartphones.

The problem is that humans have a tendency to cluster, so will mostly be reporting in urban areas with
too much redundancy.  Also, they might not be awake at the time of attack.

I'm daydreaming more about very cheap Ring (and/or Nest) devices distributed to Ukrainian households,
mounted on buildings, scattered widely across an area.

Of course, they could be mounted on rural power poles for wider visibility.  CCTV for the skies.

The current Ring has a subscription model ($40 per year) for monitoring.  That would be peanuts,
especially with cloud-based monitoring that could automatically identify the unique sounds of drones.
Likely to hear them before you can see them.

Moreover, I'm hoping this could be helpful for identifying incoming artillery, triangulating, and
returning fire more quickly.

Yeah, there are mil-spec devices.  I'm daydreaming about mass produced solutions that could be
quickly delivered to partisans.

That's why I'd asked about interoperability.  Better with multiple vendors.  Thus far, no joy.