[Cryptography] doorbells for Ukraine

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 19 22:47:38 EST 2022

William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson at gmail.com> writes:

>I'm daydreaming more about very cheap Ring (and/or Nest) devices distributed
>to Ukrainian households, mounted on buildings, scattered widely across an
>area.

I don't think this would work too well.  If they're using the near-universal
Ambarella devices for this then AFAIK those are optimised for (relatively)
close-up work and recognition of images like humans, vehicles, and similar (I
have no idea how good a CNN is at picking that five blurry pixels are a drone,
vs. identifying closeup human faces).  I would imagine that picking tiny
moving objects out of the sky and dealing with background clutter wouldn't be
a good fit.  And then beyond that the Ring devices would have optics and other
hardware designed to function as doorbells, not distant small moving object
recognisers and trackers.

Having said that, with a greenfields design and a lot of time you could
probably adapt Armbarella hardware for this use... and then run into problems
with export restrictions (it's a US company) because the only really
significant application for this is probably military.

Peter.