[Cryptography] PGP turns 30

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Jun 9 13:14:28 EDT 2021

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> Phil Zimmermann has just posted an article on the 30th anniversary of PGP:

>  https://philzimmermann.com/EN/essays/PGP_30th/

I agree with him all the way up to:

 	It's national security. The reckless deployment of Huawei 5G
 	infrastructure across Europe has created easy opportunities for
 	Chinese SIGINT. End-to-end encryption products are essential
 	for European national security, to counter a hostile SIGINT
 	environment controlled by China.

Yes we need end to end, and telco infrastructure is just an untrusted
public pipe. But it seems Europe is more in need of SIGINT protection
against the US, then against China :P

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/us-security-agency-spied-merkel-other-top-european-officials-through-danish-2021-05-30/

And end to end does not help much either if all our devices are
controlled by the American subsidiary of Crypto AG :)

Paul