[Cryptography] Standards Trolls: Re: Bitcoin is a disaster.

Ismail Kizir ikizir at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:08:22 EST 2021

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 2:11 AM Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Ismail,
>
> > We're talking about something which has between [4.7 .. 7] TPS globally.
> > wrote a range because, nobody knows the exact number. But those are
> actual
> > numbers. Some people claim there are system who can do better. How much
> > better? x100? x1000? x1,000,000,000?
> > "If you really think it's scalable and enough secure. Don't talk. Just do
> > it and show us! For real life scenario".
>
> Just to relate some more, I think the pro-bitcoin people simply don't
> worry about this.  I don't think anybody ever imagined that bitcoin
> would grow in popularity as fast as it did, and the protocol simply
> was designed for a smaller scale for a longer time, before invested
> parties did the research to upgrade it, because of the value it held.
> That's mostly happening in altchains.
>
> I googled this quick.  Looks like altchains are claiming up to about a
> million, generally more like tens of thousands, TPS.

Hey Karl!

Every step for a more scalable solution of Byzantine Fault Problem is good
for humanity, not just for Blockchain. Blockchain, when used in a "sane"
way, without unnecessary energy consumption, may also survive and serve
well.
I've been following some new projects for some time.
I was very excited for one, I don't remember the name. But it was a
proprietary/licenced project. We also discussed it here several years ago.

Actually, I liked the one Ben mentioned:
https://chainspace.io/docs/

But I still think, "Bitcoin" is flawed by design.
I am considering blockchain + communication infrastructure + energy
consumption as a whole. And I think this is the unique path which may lead
us to a reliable solution.
I still think we need something extremely fast and scalable, which, by
design, will not destroy the world/natural resources, but in contrast,
which will create its own independent infrastructure while growing by
contributions: May be solar panel / wind turbine installation +
communication backbone contribution etc.
We chose the wrong path because of a flawed design. Maybe, we had to.
Because we had no alternative.
But we're still in early stages.
And I am sure, we can stop this craziness.
I will not change my mind about this subject.
I will advocate the "correct path".

P.S. I could never tell you that I didn't use your code for my actual
project. But for another project, I will :)