[Cryptography] Standards Trolls: Re: Bitcoin is a disaster.

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 18:11:07 EST 2021

Hey Ismail,

> We're talking about something which has between [4.7 .. 7] TPS globally. I
> wrote a range because, nobody knows the exact number. But those are actual
> numbers. Some people claim there are system who can do better. How much
> better? x100? x1000? x1,000,000,000?
> "If you really think it's scalable and enough secure. Don't talk. Just do
> it and show us! For real life scenario".

Just to relate some more, I think the pro-bitcoin people simply don't
worry about this.  I don't think anybody ever imagined that bitcoin
would grow in popularity as fast as it did, and the protocol simply
was designed for a smaller scale for a longer time, before invested
parties did the research to upgrade it, because of the value it held.
That's mostly happening in altchains.

I googled this quick.  Looks like altchains are claiming up to about a
million, generally more like tens of thousands, TPS.

I think the crux here is that blockchains have the power to guide an
economy.  This is not a power that software developers are usually
trained by their governments to wield.  Decisions on what to do with
that power can get into a lot of different political viewpoints and
disagreements.  Similarly, software developers are not usually
experienced in group mediation.