[Cryptography] Does Bitcoin have unaddressed design flaws?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Feb 8 17:49:29 EST 2021

On 2021-02-08 17:18:48 -0500 (-0500), Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 09:10:51PM -0800, Tamzen Cannoy wrote:
> > > On Feb 3, 2021, at 5:17 AM, Gerald Oxley via cryptography <cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:
> > > I discovered this mailing list by way of it being the place
> > > where Satoshi posted the original Bitcoin white paper, so I
> > > thought it might be an appropriate venue for this particular
> > > question. Reading some recent threads, it seems I'm among
> > > compatriots. Also I saw the Bitcoin white paper is apparently
> > > now banned reading material (DuckDuckGo it if you haven't seen
> > > it) which made me smile until I remembered my Ray Bradbury.
> >
> > "bitcoin white paper 2008"
> >
> > That absolutely turns up the paper on DuckDuckGo. It’s not banned.
>
> "satoshi nakamoto’s original 2008 bitcoin white paper"
>
> Turns up the paper for me on Google.
>
> It's amazing how people who don't understand how to use search engines
> are sure that there is a deep conspiracy to ban them, whether it's
> bitcoin, on a right-wing Christian who was coinvinced their "Prophetic
> Message to Joe Biden" was banned, when they haven't stopped and
> considered that there a huge numbers of other web pages that might
> described by their overly broad search term.

In this case, I have a feeling it's folks reacting to the news last
month that some lawyered-up looney who claims to be the spirit of
Satoshi, risen from the grave with no proof, filed a number of
baseless threats^Wtakedown notices citing copyright infringement.
Subsequently a gi-thub pull request was merged to remove the copy
from the bitcoincore.org site, over concerns of unclear copyright
licensing. I can see how people who just parrot what they hear from
each other and never bother to check their sources could eventually
escalate this absurd game of telephone into a claim that the text in
question was "banned" somehow.

https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/740

--
Jeremy Stanley