[Cryptography] people who don't understand how to use search engines

Bob Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 9 15:12:21 EST 2021

I think a large part of the problem is the growing percentage of users
who got into the internet and the web via some "simplified" front end
rather than the UNIX world. If you have never heard of "regular
expressions" you probably won't see the patterns in what you can ask
about, hence never use them consciously. C shell, Bourne shell,
whatever, in "the good old days" there were clear statements about what
you could do, and learning them led to a lot of power over the
environment. And I'll also throw in a good word for the "man" command
that let us use things like that even when we did not remember every
detail.
Bob W