[Cryptography] Secret sharing for family members

Francis Pouatcha fpo at adorsys.de
Fri Oct 16 10:22:40 EDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:53 PM Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com>
wrote:

> OK so one thing you might want to use here is Shamir Secret Sharing. I
> have a spec for that:
> https://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf.html

Excellent document. Wonder if there is any reusable implementation of UDF
out there?

I would start with a java library if there is no indication of any existing
WIP.

> So what I would probably do is to create a Mesh account @phb-estate and
> make sure that is on the recipients list for any data I want my heirs to
> inherit. Then create a recovery key set for the secret seed for that
> account. The heirs can now decrypt any of the data.

How does this relate to social key recovery?

> The crypto is the easy part. Easy peasy. Have had that specified for over
> 18 months and running.

Yes.  Secret sharing algorithms have been out there for a while.

> The hard part is making it easy for people to use it. That is where the
> Mesh Groups come in. I can create a group @phb-legacies and add @phb-estate
> to that group. So I only need to be thinking about encrypting to one
> recipient. I don't need to encrypt to @phb and @phb-estate separately.

The challenge is the development of a simple social key recovery app for
common users.

--
Francis Pouatcha
Technical Lead