[Cryptography] Statement from Attorney General William P. Barr on Introduction of Lawful Access Bill in Senate

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Jun 30 14:23:14 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:54 PM Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> At 09:03 AM 6/30/2020, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> >The Aurora shooter used kevlar armor to make themselves invulnerable. The
> result was a lot of dead people.
>
> Hmmm...  So kevlar armor killed these people?  Last time I looked, victims
> of 'shooters' were killed by bullets.

It is my habit to be as precise as possible in my language. I said 'The
result was a lot of dead people'.

Do not misrepresent my argument. A shooter armed with a military rifle and
military body armor is going to be able to kill a hell of a lot of people.
Security is the property of a system and a gun/body armor system results in
a lot more dead people than just the guns alone.

Defensive capabilities can facilitate an offensive. That has been known
since the epic of Gilgamesh, the construction of city walls was a cause of
war. The whole argument against deployment of ABM/Star Wars technology
during the Reagan era was based on the fact that if one side has a shield,
they can attack the other with impunity.

I have no time for your gunsplaining arguments. And particularly not when
you begin with condescension and misrepresenting my position. I refer to
the NRA as the North America Man-Gun Love Association because I consider
them lower than pedophiles. And that is not hyperbole or exaggeration on
my part: I argued the same point with Timothy McVeigh before he murdered
168 people for his crazed ideology.

I see absolutely no value in making my argument for unfettered access to
technologies of freedom by tying it to a cause I consider an abomination, a
death cult.

The whole argument against allowing free access to encryption is based on
the premise that it allows 'terrorists' to protect their communications.
Comparing cryptography to body armor does not help the cause in the
slightest. In fact it puts cryptography in a category that is already
regulated.