[Cryptography] "Exclusive: Russia carried out a 'stunning' breach of FBI communications system, escalating the spy game on U.S. soil"

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Sep 23 19:28:34 EDT 2019

Dave, a year or so ago, his robot seriously didn't like my ISP.]

On 9/19/19 at 5:57 PM, dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall) wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Bill Frantz wrote:
>
>>I can't find the book just now, but it is a description of
>>code breaking in Australia during WWII. Most of the time, they
>>could break the conversations between Japanese airplanes. But
>>even when the codes were changed, and had not yet been broken,
>>direction finding and signal strength told them almost
>>everything they needed to know about coming attacks.
>
>"Codebreakers" by Craig Collie?
>
>The front page blurb says "Inside the shadowy world of signals
>intelligence in Australia's two Bletchley Parks".  ISBN 9781743312100.
>
>Why two facilities?  Army and Navy - typical military NIH
>behaviour, and as a result they weren't as effective as a joint
>facility could have been.
>
>I was stunned to learn that we had our own Bletchley Park(s) :-)

Bingo!

I picked up my copy in the Sydney airport while leaving after
the International Congress of Speleology. It's a good read.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Government is not reason, it is not
eloquence, it is force; like
408-356-8506       | a fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful
master. Never for a
www.pwpconsult.com | moment should it be left to irresponsible
action. Geo Washington