[Cryptography] "Exclusive: Russia carried out a 'stunning' breach of FBI communications system, escalating the spy game on U.S. soil"

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Sep 18 20:57:11 EDT 2019

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Bill Frantz wrote:

> I can't find the book just now, but it is a description of code breaking
> in Australia during WWII. Most of the time, they could break the
> conversations between Japanese airplanes. But even when the codes were
> changed, and had not yet been broken, direction finding and signal
> strength told them almost everything they needed to know about coming
> attacks.

"Codebreakers" by Craig Collie?

The front page blurb says "Inside the shadowy world of signals
intelligence in Australia's two Bletchley Parks".  ISBN 9781743312100.

Why two facilities?  Army and Navy - typical military NIH behaviour, and
as a result they weren't as effective as a joint facility could have been.

I was stunned to learn that we had our own Bletchley Park(s) :-)

-- Dave