[Cryptography] how to encrypt for the very long term?

Mike Lisanke mikelisanke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 16:42:22 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 6:11 AM, Christoph Gruber <grisu at guru.at> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I love this example because it shows principle limitations of cryptography
> and information security as a hole.
> Ultimate security can only be reached through infinity efforts.
> In this example:
> To securely store 1 GB of data, you use a 1 GB key that will use a 1 GB
> key to be securely stored and so on.

I have a slightly different view... encryption is also about making
exchange of secure data possible... often secure data is decrypted and
re-encrypted locally...
a secure location for a long term key is something that could be easily
destroyed... I wouldn't think people would encrypt their long pure key...
but they would
likely keep multiple keys+secure data offline in different locations in
case they need access to long term information after destroying their only
key. .