[Cryptography] how to encrypt for the very long term?

Christoph Gruber grisu at guru.at
Mon Jul 30 01:38:20 EDT 2018

On 29.07.2018 at 05:10 Mike Lisanke <mikelisanke at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo at scientia.net> wrote:
>> Hey.
>>
>> I'm basically looking into encryption of (backup) files for the very
>> long term (like at least 20 years).
>>
> We are taught the only provably secure cryptography is a random key as large as your data which Xor produces perfect encryption. A book cipher is a simplification
> as a book is not random data. If you use a generator for your randomness, it's not random. If you use a random data source, collect enough for your entire data, and
> have a secure place to place this random key, then, In Theory, your cryptography will remain secure forever... or until you lose (or misplace) the random key.

Hi!

I love this example because it shows principle limitations of cryptography and information security as a hole.
Ultimate security can only be reached through infinity efforts.
In this example:
To securely store 1 GB of data, you use a 1 GB key that will use a 1 GB key to be securely stored and so on.

Just my few cents
--
Christoph Gruber
Winners aren’t people that never fail, they are people that never quit.

PGP-Key-ID: E7DC7F8D
PGP-Key-Fingerprint: 2BFE 3BC7 848F D669 A823  1E19 7096 CCA5 E7DC 7F8D