[Cryptography] Proof of Work is the worst way to do a BlockChain

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Feb 22 10:49:19 EST 2018

On 02/22/2018 04:59 AM, Ersin Taskin wrote:

> list can help. I am very busy. Slave to code for the company I founded.
> It's fun. I feel so priviledged to have this as my profession. I hope
> that this much coding/day is temporary though.

I heard that.  I'm going through the same thing, although I'm moving
out of security code as a profession.

> In the meantime I go very slow with my paper. This is so sad. How about
> an open source approach? We write the paper together in this list.
> Anybody can join. Every round I post one independent part of the puzzle.
> Anybody can comment, contribute. I may post tasks like mathematical
> calculations, proofs, literature search, reference notification, good
> essay skills, etc. for anyone to undertake. I have the whole story in my
> head but to make an academic paper I need to work.

All right.  So, for the very first sentence of a technical paper, let us
begin with a specific statement of technical goals.  Since this is a
cryptography list, I'm going to start with the three questions every
piece of cryptographic software that exists must have answers for.

What specific information do you need cryptography to control or
protect, what specific task do you want your application to be able to
do with that information in spite of its being controlled or protected,
and whom or what are you protecting the information from?

				Bear

PS.  Sorry about getting your name wrong in my earlier reply.  I have
     actually known someone named Erskin and mistook your name for being
     the same as his.  I should have looked more closely.