[Cryptography] Schneier's Internet Security Agency - bad idea because we don't know what it will do

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Feb 28 22:28:30 EST 2017

On 2/28/2017 1:37 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> But going back to the question of whether this "solves" the market failure:  iPhones appear to be more secure than Android phones

Iphones are always listening to you and you cannot disable it.

On the other hand, unless you deliberately disable it, an android phone
is also always listening to you, and reporting to Google.

There has been no indication that Google uses the always listening
feature for political purposes, but it used gmail for political
purposes.  Social Justice Warriors have been urging Google to use the
always listening feature to detect and punish sexist words.

If social justice warriors had their way hate speech would be recorded
and transcribed, and made available to future employers, and were a
business to hire a "hater" then in a subsequent hostile environment or
discrimination lawsuit by social justice warrior's against the business,
that hater's politically incorrect words would be used to ensure that
the business lost the lawsuit.

In the short term a more likely use would be that Google listens in to
the White House and shares the information with Trump's enemies.