[Cryptography] Google announces practical SHA-1 collision attack

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Feb 28 20:07:12 EST 2017

Looking at the resources required, they sound excessive until you think,
'how would I test a new data center before bringing it on line for
production work'.

Another possibility is that they make running the code the default null
task. Google probably has more compute power going to waste than most
national labs have compute power. I did that sort of thing myself when
testing out some of the systems at ZEUS, despite the commissioning date
(1990) the data system could process 6Tb/sec of data. You could do some
interesting stuff on that.

On the Quantum Computer issue, it occurred to me that there is likely to be
a rather slow takeup. Moore also said that the fab to build each generation
of machines would cost twice the cost of the previous generation. Finding
tens of millions of dollars for this sort of research is easy. Finding
billions a year to sustain an emerging industry is a different matter.

I rather suspect that Quantum Computers are likely to be Heath Robinson
affairs for quite a while to come.

Oh and unless Peter has found a new form of Quantum Cryptanalysis, SHA-1
not a good showcase.