[Cryptography] Just in case it isn't obvious...

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Feb 27 21:28:18 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Patrick Chkoreff <patrick at rayservers.net>
wrote:

> Jerry Leichter wrote on 02/27/2017 01:44 PM:
>  problem back when MD5 failed!
> >
> > De-duplication engines may well have the same issues.  These run in
> > backup programs, in cloud services (e.g., Dropbox) - even (very
> > slightly different use case) in rsync.  In some cases, these are very
> > high performance hardware boxes which likely do their hashing in
> > dedicated hardware.
> >
> > Compared to these, fixing git is child's play.
>
> Yes, I once considered doing some hash-based de-duping of my own, and I

Now I need to look under the hood at:
  fdupes - finds duplicate files in a given set of directories

MD5 signatures seem OK for now.
They do say...
When using -d or --delete, care should be taken to insure against
accidental data loss.

Detecting duplicates can be optimized and I/O minimized.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l