[Cryptography] Risks of IOT

mok-kong shen mok-kong.shen at t-online.de
Fri Feb 24 03:16:25 EST 2017

There is a paper by U. Lindqvist and P. G. Neumnnn warning about the
risks of IOT:

http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2017/2/212425-the-future-of-the-internet-of-things/abstract

The following is taken from its abstract:

There are already many risks recognizably associated with the IoT. Some
risks are old and well known, but exacerbated by the unprecedented scale
of the IoT; estimates for the next few years suggest tens of billions of
Things. Other risks may be new, stemming from the nature of how these
Things are designed, what they are used for, how they are deployed and
managed (or not managed), and how market forces will influence the
development. In this column, we outline some of those risks and what
might need to happen if the IoT is to deliver the benefits envisioned
for it—with a reasonable level of trustworthiness. Our message is
intended as a wake-up call for computer professionals, but is also
relevant to everyone involved as a user.

M. K. Shen