[Cryptography] HSMs or Intel SGX? Which is harder to hack?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Feb 22 16:29:06 EST 2017

* Peter Gutmann:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx at webweaving.org> writes:
>
>>While 10k is a bit much - it is pretty common in some industries to have in
>>the mid 1000’s in something called simbanks, poolGSM or simtrays; typically
>>128 or 256 cards; often fitting by two per 1U enclosure.
>
> There's a legitimate use for those things?  The only use I knew for them was
> for phone fraud.

Some regulators require that all tokens are personalized and
run-of-the-mill smartcards.  If you have business processes that
require mass-signing, then you need such smartcard farms.

But I think there's lately been a general trend away from requiring
signatures with personalized smartcards for mass-market transactions.