[Cryptography] So please tell me. Why is my solution wrong?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:15:03 EST 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:24 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> They are available right now.  I know this because I am holding two of
> them in my hand.  One is a U2F key by Yubico, the other is a Plug-Up
> security key.  They both implement an open spec from the FIDO
> alliance.

Full disclosure: other people in my group at work develop and maintain
software for this key, so I can't say I am entirely disinterested in
whether or not it becomes a commercial success.  However, I have no
financial incentive to promote this:

https://www.yubico.com/product/yk4nano/

I think having the key so small that it fits entirely inside your
computer's USB port is revolutionary.   It becomes part of your computer
rather than something you have to carry around.  It nearly eliminates the
PITA factor of all the other keys I've used.

Using FIDO, the web site makes your key blink, and then your touch it.
That's it.  It defeats most phishing and even provides an addition layer of
defense for your online data in the case that malware compromises your
computer.  People will argue that this extra layer is useless, but I think
every layer is welcome.

Bill