[Cryptography] Fwd: What is total world transaction volume?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Feb 8 08:33:49 EST 2017

>> "A bit slow" is an understatement.  About a decade ago the Visa/MC payment
>> gateways were doing 5K transactions a second, which included ignoring some of
>> the crypto verification that was being used because it couldn't be processed
>> in time.
>
>How many Wholesale transactions (eg SWIFT) or even end-of-day InterBank Settlement transactions per day?
>__outer

A few seconds of googling finds 15M SWIFT messages/day which is about
200/sec.  It's not clear what the relationship is between messages and
transactions, but even at this wholesale level we're an order of
magnitude beyond what bitcoin can do.

A few seconds more finds Fedwire does 566K transactions/day, or about
6/sec.  Bitcoin could just barely keep up with that, but of course the
transaction rate increases every year.

R's,
John