[Cryptography] What is total world transaction volume?

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:16:48 EST 2017

>From some quick googling it appears that there are ~100 Billion credit &
debit card transactions per year. But the real question is how many /cash/
transactions occur? I suspect (globally) it is probably far higher than
electronic transactions.

Given that blockchain-based cryptocurrencies require every validator node
to process the entirety of the network's transaction history, in order to
scale them up to reach mainstream level volumes, more complex layers of
transaction processing need to be built on top of the base layer in order
to achieve sufficient scalability.

- Jameson