[Cryptography] Happy birthday, Ralph Merkle!

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Feb 1 21:38:53 EST 2017

On 2/2/17 at 11:34 AM, dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall) wrote:

>Ralph Merkle, co-inventor of public key crypto, was born today in 1952.

Yes. Happy birthday. He has also made significant contributions
in theoretical nanotechnology. (If you can't build it today,
then it is theoretical.)

>Do you buy things online, with your credit card?  Then you can
>thank Ralph Merkle for making it reasonably safe; he also
>invented crypto hashing.
>
>(Notice that I said "reasonably" safe; it's always a risk.)

Note that buying in person with a credit card has its risks. I
had my card number "borrowed" in Heathrow once for buy a bottle
of scotch. Carrying cash or gold to make purchases also has
risks. You just can't avoid those pesky things.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | "The only thing we have to   | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | fear is fear itself." - FDR  | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | Inaugural address, 3/4/1933  | Los Gatos,
CA 95032