[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

mok-kong shen mok-kong.shen at t-online.de
Thu Apr 6 16:01:17 EDT 2017

Am 06.04.2017 um 20:16 schrieb Watson Ladd:
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 9:07 AM, mok-kong shen <mok-kong.shen at t-online.de> wrote:

>>> I would hope that the law distinguishes between passive absorption and
>>> active transmission.  I doubt I am in legal jeopardy just because I
>>> can't receive 97.1 FM "The River" in my underground concrete shelter.
>>> On the other hand, if I start sparking out RF waves saying "I am John
>>> Galt" over the top of a Joe Walsh tune, that might receive a different
>>> legal treatment.
>> How about warnings of earthquakes, tornados etc., or even orders of
>> evacuation which
>> you fail to obtain?
> Your own damn fault. There is no requirement to own a radio capable of
> receiving these transmissions.
I suppose the law intends to cover such cases: If an arbitrary person A
enters a certain
building B owned by a certain company C, e.g. A is a customer of C, then
it should be
sufficiently guaranteed that A be able to get the warnings etc. I
mentioned above  from
the official broadcasting  stations, if he cares to carry with him an
appropriate receiver
(if he doesn't do so, then that's his own fault, as you wrote, in case a
catastrophe happens
to him). Therefore B shouldn't be a Faraday cage according to the law.

M. K. Shen