[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Apr 6 18:30:04 EDT 2017

On 4/6/17 at 1:01 PM, mok-kong.shen at t-online.de (mok-kong shen) wrote:

>I suppose the law intends to cover such cases: If an arbitrary person A enters a certain
>building B owned by a certain company C, e.g. A is a customer of C, then it should be
>sufficiently guaranteed that A be able to get the warnings etc. I mentioned above  from
>the official broadcasting  stations, if he cares to carry with him an appropriate receiver
>(if he doesn't do so, then that's his own fault, as you wrote, in case a catastrophe happens
>to him). Therefore B shouldn't be a Faraday cage according to the law.

Lets get real here. A specific example:

A reasonable receiver to use to get these warnings is a cell
phone. Our county allows you to sign up to get the warnings by
cell phone, which I have done. Stanford University has a class,
EE380, which I attend occasionally. It is held in the basement
of the Gates Computer Science building, and there is no cell
phone reception there. Is the assertion that Stanford is
violating the law because it built a building from concrete and
rebar? Give me a break.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Security is like Government  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | services. The market doesn't | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | want to pay for them.        | Los Gatos,
CA 95032