[Cryptography] How to prove Wikileaks' emails aren't altered

Mark Seiden mis at seiden.com
Sun Oct 30 13:00:46 EDT 2016

On 10/29/16 10:39 PM, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> On 10/29/2016 09:38 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
>>> The post office doesn't keep a copy of every piece of paper mail that
>>> passes through the system, after all.  People would be shocked and
>>> offended by the idea that it ought to.
>>
>> Prepare to be shocked and offended by the post-9/11 idiocy of government
>> bureaucrats:
>>
>>   Post office photocopies envelopes of all mail sent in the US, says NY Times
>>   http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/new_york_times_post_office_photocopies_envelopes_of_all_mail_sent_in_the_us/
>>   Jul 03, 2013 06:40 pm, by Martha Neil
>
> Yes, I was aware.  And yes, when I let people know, they are
> indeed shocked and offended.  As yet however the text of the
> contents of paper mail is not routinely recorded.  Although
> that could now be done with the appropriate spectrum of microwave
> scanning and a sufficiently high-resolution receiver, I don't
> think it could as yet be done without burning out the RFID's
> that an increasing number of shippers are including for package
> tracking, so there are conflicting goals there.
>
> The same 'metadata' recording happens in all common publicly
> accessible delivery services.  Fedex, UPS, etc do it too.
>
> This is especially interesting in light of rules requiring the
> MAC address of network-capable devices to be printed on the
> outside of the packaging.  If they can get a device's MAC, they
> can review delivery records to see to whom that device was sent.
>
> 				Bear

the larger retailers, like amazon, certainly scan and keep the serial
numbers of the devices they ship, which is on the same label as the mac
(to detect fraudulent returns).   i believe this was intended so
providers and installers who want to do mac-based provisioning (such as
cable companies for cable modems) can do it more easily.

i have never seen a mac address printed on the outside of any package i
have received from any shipper because almost all of these devices are
packed inside a bigger box which only has an address label and tracking
number on it.