[Cryptography] How to prove Wikileaks' emails aren't altered

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Oct 27 22:34:50 EDT 2016

Given that the latest leaks haven't told us anything we didn't know
already, chances that they are forged are low.

What I am disappointed about is that there is nothing about the use of Air
Force One for running cocaine, Hilary's murder of Vince Foster etc.

To be serious, the value to the attacker here is not in stealing the
election. I was at an event at the JFK school tonight on the attacks. There
are many motives that make more sense than rigging the election.

* From Russia's point of view, these attacks represent retaliation for the
Panama papers, or maybe the Ukraine election. Both of which Russia claims
were orchestrated by the US.

* Demonstrating the ability to hack into email systems makes claims that
electronic voting machines are rigged more credible.

* Delegitimizing the process and the outcome of US elections diminishes one
of the core pillars of US soft power.

* Putin rigged his last election and will rig his next one. and he will
cite 'the election rigging' in the US as cover for those acts.

What these leaks do provide is a way for one political party to set the
agenda. Trump would much prefer to have the media discussing anyone's
emails than the 12 women who allege he sexually assaulted them. And the way
the media in the US works a leak of information is considered to be 'news'
even if the information itself is already in the public domain. Why is it
news when information readily available on the FEC web site is taken from a
'leaked' email?

In conclusion, we have to fix the damn email system. We need to make end to
end security the default for all mail. And that means that it has to be as
easy to use the encrypted system as the insecure one.