[Cryptography] Announcement: the SC4-HSM is now a FIDO U2F token

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sat Oct 15 16:53:38 EDT 2016

On Oct 15, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2016 5:15 PM, "Ron Garret" <ron at flownet.com> wrote:
>> I’m pleased to announce the first real industrial-strength application for
>> the SC4-HSM (https://sc4.us/hsm).  The device can now function as a FIDO
>> U2F (universal second factor) token.  The code is currently available only
>> through our github repository (https://github.com/Spark-Innovations/SC4)
>> but I will be releasing a pre-built binary soon.  All units ordered from
>> this point forward will ship with the new firmware.
>
> This may be an FAQ, but it's not on the FAQ list for your web site
> yet.  :-)
>
> Given the concerns folks have had that the latest Yubikey's (which are
> capable of supporting 4k RSA keys) are no longer using open source
> firmware, is the hardware capable, and how hard would it be, to create
> a OpenPGP smartcard compatible (using the CCID interface) with the
> SCM4-HSM token?

Yes, the SC4-HSM is easily capable of doing this, and it would not be hard for someone who knows what they’re doing.  Unfortunately, I’m not yet such a person :-)  The crypto part is straightforward, but I’m still climbing the learning curve on the USB drivers.  If you know how to write CCID drivers, or where I could get some reference code, that would be very helpful.

rg